Prep time: 20 minutes after boiling and slightly cooling the potatoes
Note: This mixture can be frozen in advance before baking. Spoon it into an oven to table casserole that is also freezer friendly or into another type of freezer container. Cover with waxed paper and then wrap in foil. Freeze before you stud it with marshmallows. Defrost the night before serving. Heat in a 375° F. oven til bubbling. Add as many marshmallows as you like and continue to cook until marshmallows have browned. Serve hot.
- 4 pounds yams
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or one stick softened non-dairy margarine
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 package marshmallows
- 1 large pot for boiling potatoes
- slotted spoon or spider
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 8 cup oven to table casserole
- Rinse off potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Depending on the size of your potatoes, boiling could take anywhere from 30 -45 minutes to be soft enough to mash. Wait about 10 minutes and then carefully remove potatoes from the hot water with a slotted spoon or spider. Place them on a flat surface so you can peel them. The potatoes will still be hot. Wearing disposable gloves protects your hands a little. The skins should slip off easily into your hands. You can always use a knife to help you if necessary. Place peeled potatoes in the mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, oil (or margarine) and Vanilla. Mash well with a masher or a large fork. Let it cool off completely before freezing. If baking right away, spoon into an oven to table casserole and bake in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes before adding as many marshmallows as you want. Return to oven and bake until marshmallows have browned.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of Gloria Kobrin of Kosher By Gloria